Friday, August 28, 2026

On July 24th, Stegosaurus decided to buld a raft and float forthrightly to Tibet and China in order to visit his cousin Wuerhosaurus. On August 3rd he arrived, and Wuerhosaurus expressed his happiness overtly, which was uncharacteristic for him, especially since Stegosaurus planned his visit as a surprise.

“Well met, cousin Stegosaurus! What brings you to my humble abode in the upper reaches of Tibet? I pray your journey here was peaceful and uneventful.”

“It was,” said Stegosaurus. “I thought to come for a visit to relax and spend time with you before the Stegosaurus Disaster Relief Agency travels to Venezuela in September.”

“You are always welcome,” said Wuerhosaurus. “ I have recently harvested some bamboo shoots; let us dine on them, and then we shall meditate for some time. Afterward, we can take a nice tour of the Szechuan province in China. It is there that many of our friends were discovered and classified.”

“Very well,” said Stegosaurus. “I think I am staying long enough to eat my raft. Do you think bamboo shoots go with raft?”

“I have not tried it, but I'm game for an experiment,” said Wuerhosaurus.

“The raft is made from trees of my native State. It is made of Colorado Blue Spruce,” said Stegosaurus.

After trying the combination, Wuerhosaurus said, “This is just fine. I find bamboo and your Colorado Blue Spruce pleasing to the palette; it is a nice culinary merger of East and West.”

After dinner the two cousins entered a meditative state, and remained so until August 15th

Thus fortified both with food for the body and food for the soul, on August 15th Stegosaurus and Wuerhosaurus stomped off forthrightly for the Szechuan province in China, specifically that region of the land wherein many dinosaurs have been discovered. The cousins continued to stomp forthrightly to the upper mountain reaches of the Szechuan province; there they knew they'd find conifers and ferns, along with roots, which are familiar to the ancient diet of the Stegosaurus species.

After some time, they had eaten their fill of their traditional diet, they returned to the lowlands, in search of salt licks. They knew they could find salt deposits in abundance along the Fuxi River. Once there, they noticed a sauropod in the river that they hadn't met before.

“Look at that sauropod,” said Stegosaurus. “He has a club and spikes upon his tail. We must make his acquaintance.”

“Let us go, and meet him at the shore,” said Wuerhosaurus.

The sauropod saw the two Stegosaurids approaching and lumbered through the waters until he reached the shore, where they were standing and waiting by the time he got there.

“Hi,” said he; “My name is Shunosaurus. What are your names?”

“We are two of the Stegosaurus species, Stegosaurus Stenops, and myself, Wuerhosaurus homheni,” said Wuerhosaurus. “We visit your land to dine upon conifers and avail ourselves, if we may, of the salt here.”

“You may have the salt; I do not own it. The mammals mine it for themselves, but there is plenty for all,” said Shunosaurus.

“Thank you,” said Wuerhosaurus.

“Much obliged,” said Stegosaurus. “If you would, please tell us about your interesting tail.”

“I will tell you both all about myself,” said Shunosaurus. “I was discovered by paleontology students in 1977, right in the Szechuan province where I live now. My name is derived from Shu, a name the mammals used for the province now known as Szechuan. I was classified by Professor Dong Zhiming in 1983. I am between 161 and 157 million years old, and am one of the most anatomically complete sauropods ever discovered, though I am not as well known as Apatosaurus or Diplodocus. In 2013, my most complete fossil was found, and the very tip of my tail, just beyond my distinctive spiked club.”

“We have observed your tail,” said Stegosaurus. “My cousin Wuerhosaurus and I would like to compare cool, spiky tails with you. We like the novelty about your tail that it is spiked like ours is, but also clubbed, like our friend Ankylosaurus' tail is.”

“We certainly can compare tails,” said Shunosaurus. “Let us leave the Fuksi River entirely behind, and in the uplands we can have a proper display and competition.”

“I am all for a friendly competition,” said Wuerhosaurus.

“As am I,” said Stegosaurus. “Let us go.”

Shunosaurus and the two Stegosaurids left the Fuksi River and the general lowland area for the higher elevations that Wuerhosaurus and Stegosaurus had just come from.

Stegosaurus, being college educated, recognized the trees before him. “Aha!” said Stegosaurus, “Here is a grove of the Brousinettia Papifiera, The tapa cloth tree, known as such because mammals of the Asian Pacific use it to make clothing.”

“This is a 66 foot tree,” observed Wuerhosaurus.

“Yes, about 20 meters,” said Shunosaurus. “The object of our contest, if you don't mind my setting the rules, is to fell 6 trees of this grove each. Whosoever may accomplish this first, wins.”

“Very well. Let us begin,” said Stegosaurus.

“Your terms are acceptable,” said Wuerhosaurus. “But let me ask, are we all three, only allowed to use our cool spiky tails to tell the trees?”

“Yes,” said Shunosaurus.

“Very well. Let us begin,” said Wuerhosaurus.

In relative short order, it became very loud in the forest, as Stegosaurus felled 8 trees, Wuerhosaurus 6, and Shunosaurus 10. Shunosuarus was the first to reach 6 trees, so he won the contest.

It was found that, like Diplodocus, Shunosaurus could break the sound barrier with his tail.

“I am impressed, this place looks like a disaster zone,” said Stegosaurus to Shumosaurus. “Would you like to join the Stegosaurus Disaster Relief Agency? I can tell you you'll feel right at home, as we have many sauropods that you may know working with us.”

“I would be honored to work with you,” said Shunosaurus, “....and to express my gratitude for your offer I will prove my skill by cleaning up this grove on my own.”

“We can help,” said Wuerhosaurus.

“Thank you, but I insist. Consider it my job application,” said Shunosaurus.

Stegosaurus and Wuerhosaurus remained in China through August 22nd.

On that day, a new raft was constructed by the Stegosaurids, and Wuerhosaurus returned to Tibet, while Stegosaurus and Shunosaurus continued on to Venezuela, contacting the members of the Stegosaurus Disaster Relief Agency, who, hearing of the news that the Agency was activated, coordinated their arrival, and they proceeded to help the mammals of Venezuela.

 
Write Stegosaurus an email ! Stegosaurusmail AT Gmail DOT COM