On August 29th, The Stegosaurus Disaster Relief Agency arrived in Venezuela to assist the mammals there in recovery from earthquakes they experienced on June 24th.
Where the first earthquake occured was where the Agency arrived first. The quake was in Veroes Municipality, west of San Felipe, the capital city of Yaracuy. The foreshock measured 7.2 on the Richter Scale. The main shock measured 7.5, and was located off the coast of Vargas, ( now called La Graiua ) just west of Catia LaMar, the port city in which we arrived.
Of course, Shunosaurus followed me from China, so he was there, and we were also quickly joined by other sauropods, such as Apatosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Nigersaurus, and Diplodocus, Shunosaurus was delighted to see so many sauropods there working together for the benefit of the mammals and he immediately felt right at home among them, setting to work right away, helping Diplodocus remove very large sections of wall which had been reduced to rubble.
Trachodon and Agathaumas arrived as they usually do, silently, and set to work without a word, not wanting to draw attention to themselves, as is their custom. Agathaumas and Trachodon worked together to construct a water filtration system to ensure the mammals had access to clean water. Trachodon, being a frequent water dweller, particularly believed ( and rightly so ) that clean water helped prevent premature extinctions and diseases which were prone to afflict mammals who had experienced such tragic circumstances as these earthquakes.
We were also joined by Rhedosaurus and his lovely wife Lady Rhedosaurus; it was Lady Rhedosaurus' idea to have her husband help her to build a lighthouse in the port city, as this would effectively distract Rhedosaurus from eating policemen and other Venezuelan authority figures.
“I know you've declared that lighthouses don't do much for you any more,” said she. “I am genuinely flattered that you are much more interested in me, but you see, just this once I'd like you to help me help the mammals here by building them a lighthouse which will help their goods and ships arriving at port safely during major storms. I know you've also destroyed them as effectively as any earthquake could; but please, just this once, help me do something nice for the mammals instead of eathing their authority figures, which is not beneficial in times of crisis; it is actually making things worse, so, please help me help the mammals.”
“All right, my beloved,” said Rhedosaurus. “I shall temper my appetite for policemen of all Nations. Today. Just for you.”
Western Black Rhino and Woolly Rhino were shocked to discover the number of mammals who had become extinct as a result of the earthquake. "6,500, and many more millions missing!" said Western Black Rhino. "The Mammals here have not experienced an earthquake this bad since 29th October of the year 1900, in San Narciso ! I really feel for them, as I know how I felt when I initially became extinct in 2013. I will help the sauropods clear this area of rubble; 80% of the mammal dwellings here have been destroyed, and it is a similar situation in their capital city of Caracas."
I know one thing I could do, it would be a great sacrifice, but I must help the mammals, as I too, feel distraught by actually seeing the amount of total devistation here. I will take a shearing and the mammals can use my fur to make blankets to keep them warm if they are out in the cold without a home in the winter months, which will be here soon."
"That is very generous of you," said Western Black Rhino. "Had I any hair I would gladly follow your example and do the same."
As Woolly Rhino departed in search of someone who was a shearer and would help him implement his plan. "I wish you good fortune as you help the sauropods clear the area of rubble," said Woolly Rhino.
Woolly Rhino then spoke up, and got the attention of Brachiosaurs and Nigersaurus who stopped clearing rubble when they realized someone was calling upon them. Nigersaurus was still happily singing sea shanties, as he had been now for over a year. "Hail, Nigersaurus! I have come to help you clear rubble."
"Hello, there, Western Black Rhino! Yes, please come help us!" said Nigersaurus. "Would you like me to teach you a few verses of The Leaving of Liverpool? We can sing as we work!"
"Thank you, but I shall leave the singing to you," said Western Black Rhino.
"Very well!" rejoined Nigersaurus. "Where is Woolly Rhino? Is he here with us?"
"Yes, he is," said Western Black Rhino. "He has gone to find someone to give him a shearing so that wool blankets can be made to keep mammals warm."
"That is a great idea!" said Nigersaurus, who then promptly resumed singing.
Stegosaurus and the Moa Birds had gone to Grenada and Brazil to bring back food that the mammals could eat. Stegosaurus planned to set up a soup kitchen in Catia La Mar. All of these foods were recipes that the Venezuelan people would know and enjoy. Stegosaurus stopped by the workshop of Stegosaurus Claus, and Stegosaurus Claus took some time out of his busy toy making schedule to donate a crate full of tree shaped Gingerbread cookies, as well as Christmas trees.
Stegosaurus and 6 Upland Moas had hitched themselves to carts so that they could transport the food and a few essential items from Grenada and Brazil to Venezuela.
"What to you say to a visit to New Zealand once we finish cleaning up Venezuela ?? We always enjoy your visits to watch us graze in our bucolic mountain setting."
"That sounds like a lovely idea," said Stegosaurus. "I agree it is time for a visit to New Zealand; I will stomp there forthrightly as soon as we have helped all the mammals we can help here."
Up ahead, Stegosaurus noticed Apatosaurus and Shunosaurus knocking down trees and building bridges out of them.
"Hello, there, Apatosaurus, Shunosaurus! Can we cross soon? The Moa Birds and I are bringing food to the Venezuelan mammals that has come from Brazil and Grenada."
"You can very shortly," said Apatosaurus. "The earthquake took out this bridge and Shunosaurus and I have felled some trees to create a temporary bridge so that mammals and dinosaurs alike may pass safely."
"I was helping Brachiosaurus and Diplodocus clear rubble a few miles away, but Apatosaurus needed someone with a cool, spiky tail to fell these trees, and you and the Moa Birds had already left for Grenada."
"Understood, Shumosaurus. You have done well, " said Stegosaurus.
"The food that the Moas and I are bringing from Grenada and Brazil is going to be part of a soup kitchen I want to run to help feed the mammals."
"A brilliant idea, Stegosaurus. I am, as always, glad to be a part of this," said Apatosaurus.
"What kind of foods did you bring the mammals to eat?" asked Apatosaurus.
"I would have to confess only vegetables, as vegetables are what I know and also it is true that they can be transported easier than things like meat, which needs to be kept cold for proper storage and transport."
"Very wise." said Shunosaurus.
"Here is the menu," said Stegosaurus.
"First, vegetarian Arepas. These can be filled with black beans, avocado, cilantro, or mushrooms.
Second, Catchapas, corn based pancakes, in this case, without cheese, but we do have butter on hand.
Pabellon Criollo, made with Jackfruit.
Hallacas filled with vegetable stew.
Finally we will have a vegetarian dish that pairs with many vegetarian options, Guasacaca."
"I am sure they'll be pleased that the menu reflects their cultural tastes," said Moa Bird.
"It is fortunate that we had the resources to provide such a meal. In situations like this, it is not always possible," said Stegosaurus.
"I hope we have enough to feed everyone."
Moa Bird observed the hungry Venezuelans arriving.
"Here they come!" he said. "The hungry mammals are arriving!"
The mammals did arrive in such great numbers, that Stegosaurus had to send the Moa Birds, as well as Trachodon and Agathaumas into Grenada to see if they could procure more food. Thus, many Venezuelans were fed and cared for in these difficult times by the Stegosaurus Disaster Relief Agency, When the food was all gone, Rhedosaurus, Lady Rhedosaurus, Nigersaurus and Shunosaurus made sure that the mammals had access to resources that would be able to assist them when the Stegosaurus Disaster Relief Agency had returned home. These would be international aid organizations run by mammals to help mammals. The Venezuelan people were grateful for the aid they had recieved and invited Stegosaurus to return during less stressful, less busy times.
"They want me to visit their country after their cities are completely rebuilt, to experience their culture when their circumstances are much less dire," said Stegosaurus
"How kind of them," observed Brachiosaurus.
"It has been a pleasure to assist you as always," said Apatosaurus. "Thank you for getting us all together for such an important mission."
"When we help each other, we help ourselves," said Western Black Rhino. "Look at the sacrifice my friend Woolly Rhino has made! Right now, he is not very woolly!"
"Ah, but this is temporary," said Woolly Rhino "It is a small price to pay, as my wool will soon return and grow fast."
"The Stegosaurus Disaster Relief Agency also helped me when I was initially extinct, and dealing with the depression I experienced for a while after becoming extinct. This is a valuable service to mammal, megafauna and dinosaur alike," said Western Black Rhino.
Stegosaurus was too humble to take any credit for what had been done, but he admitted the work was hard and he was looking forward to a nice bird watching vacation in New Zealand. He left Venezuela with the Moa Birds on September 26th, after assuring the Venezuelans that he would be delighted tocome visit them in happier, less stressful times.
"I am inspired by your resilience I will leave you with this promise: I will most assuredly and will visit you again very soon! Thank you for the invitation!"

